081106 THURSDAY “Disagreement Gone Bad”
+++CPR CLASS THIS SUNDAY, 10am – 2pm, SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS+++
+++MUAY THAI CANCELED TONIGHT+++
Sometimes, all the chalk in the world can’t save your hands. Emily laughed it off before taping up and going back in for more pull ups.
“Disagreement Gone Bad”
With a continuously running clock perform each of the following exercises for one minute. At a call of ‘rotate’ each athlete will move to the next station. Count repetitions for all exercises, and the cumulative total is your ‘score’
1 min Row (count calories)
1 min Box Jump (20inch, or 12in box)
1 min Medicine ball clean (20lb ball)
1 min push press (75lb, 45lb, or 20lb bar)
1 min rest
3 rounds total. Post score to comments.
If you do not have a partner to count for you, keep a running total for each round and write it down during the rest interval (i.e. 15 calories, then box jumps start counting at 16, 17, etc).
Article from the Blog of Dr. Micheal R. Eades:
“. . . MD and I feel strongly that we as a species have a genome that was molded by the forces of natural selection over the past few million years to operate optimally on the food that was at hand during those few million years. What was available? Mainly fairly high-protein, high-fat fare. There werenâ€™t a lot of carbohydrates readily available until the advent of agriculture a few thousand years ago. For the time that we developed our ancestors ate meat, fish, insects, clams, reptiles and pretty much anything live they could get their hands on. This primarily protein and fat diet was supplemented with whatever fruits, nuts, berries, roots, shoots and tubers were in season. Work done by Loren Cordain shows that, based on the Ethnographic Atlas, modern day hunter gatherers get about 65 percent of their calories from animals and the other 35 percent from plants. Most researchers believe that Paleolithic man got more than that from animals because during Paleolithic times many more large animals roamed the earth than do today. In fact, Paleolithic man hunted many of these large animals to extinction. . .
Taking 3000 kcal as being the average (itâ€™s probably on the low side) daily energy intake of our Paleolithic ancestors and looking at how much plant food would be required to obtain those kcal is an eye-opening experience. I ran just a few foods through the USDA nutritional calculator and found that it would take 48 cups of blackberriesâ€“thatâ€™s 3 gallons of blackberriesâ€“to provide 3000 kcal. I donâ€™t know how many readers have ever picked blackberries, but I have, and I can tell you that picking 3 gallons takes a lot of time. And, much though I love blackberries, I couldnâ€™t come anywhere near eating 3 gallons of them in a day. How about blueberries? 36 cups; over 2 gallons. Spinach? 103 cups. Celery? 111 stalks. Apples? 42. . .”
Post thoughts to comments.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in going to our first CPR certification seminar at “The Shed”. Our very own Stavros will be certifying everyone in Adult CPR, Child/Infant CPR, First Aid and how to use the AED.
We will be having it this Sunday from 10am to about 2pm. Space is limited, and there will be a small fee for going. So email me for more details -jj