“It’s not about what happened in the past, or what you think might happen in the future. It’s about the ride, for Christ’s sake. There is no point in going through all this crap, if you’re not going to enjoy the ride. And you know what… when you least expect something great might come along. Something better than you even planned for.” Irving Feffer, “Along Came Polly”
FIGHT THE POWER! On Tuesday, the 15th, the Contra Costa County Supervisor met to vote on raising fines for businesses not obeying closure mandates. Based on public commentary and the commentary from the Supervisors themselves, the public overwhelmingly does not support fining small businesses who are struggling to survive. Diablo’s member email campaign and news coverage likely helped influence this decision. Thank you everyone for your support, emails and public statements to the Supervisors. We’re almost through this!
OUR FIRST REPORTED CASE It was inevitable that we’d have a case reported at Diablo. Last week, a member reported to us that they tested positive. The member experienced symptoms of a cold in the evening and had attended class earlier in the day. The next day the member self-quarantined, and tested for Covid. 5 days later, the results came back positive and the member continued to quarantine. All members in the gym that day and time were immediately notified of the incident. No other members have reported symptoms or a positive test. Our protocols are working.
Reminder: Diablo does not allow drop-ins or week passes. We have a “bubble” of sorts. Here are our travel and reporting protocols:
- Travel – If you travel outside of the Bay Area, please take at least 3 days off from the gym. Make sure that you are symptom-free before returning.
- Symptoms – If you experience any cold, flu or CV19 symptoms, do not come into the gym. Please visit a testing center for a rapid test. Do not come into the gym until results have been received. If you test negative, make sure that your symptoms have subsided before returning.
- Positive Test – Do not come into the gym (obviously). Send an email or direct message to me with the details and timing so that I can immediately notify our staff and class members who may have come into contact with you. Identities will be kept private. Follow all proper quarantine guidelines before returning to the gym.
HOLIDAY TOWN HALL & TOM JONES AWARD RESCHEDULE – Unfortunately, Mr. Tom Jones was unable to break away from a wedding to be on our Holiday Zoom meeting, so we are rescheduling for Saturday, December 26th at 6PM. Details will be emailed and posted in our member FB group.
KEEP FITNESS LEGAL T’s – We have some very cool new shirts in our online store commemorating our pandemic experience. Check ‘em out here: Diablo Online Store
THE OPEN BEGINS MARCH 11TH – The 2021 CrossFit Games Open has been announced and will begin on March 11th. This is the beginning of a full season that ends with the CrossFit Games in Madison, Wisconsin the week of July 26th. Big change: The Open will last only 3 weeks, but it is expected that each week may contain multiple tests.
For the first time, there will be an online Quarterfinals which will lead to an in-person Semi-Finals and finally, the Games. Masters, Teens and Affiliate Teams qualifiers will have additional online qualifiers as well. For all the information go to the CFG website. Also, check out my link below to the Talking Elite Fitness podcast with Dave Castro.
Diablo will likely several athletes contending for the Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, Masters and possibly the Games!
CHRISTMAS HOURS (subject to change)
- Thu, 12/24: 6AM – 1PM. Last class at 12P. All CF Classes.
- Fri, 12/25: Closed. Merry Christmas!
- Sat, 12/26: 7A – 2PM. Last class at 11A
WORKOUTS THIS WEEK (check Sugarwod Track “Workout Of The Day”) Check out the videos on Sugarwod or on YouTube (PRsAllDay).
- Mon: Press, PPress, Jerk Test. Metcon: 15-12-9, DB Thrusters & Strict Situps. Buy-in: 35 DUs
- Tue: E3MOM x 5 with 1min rest – 9 HPCleans #115/165, 10 Box Jumps, Max Cal Row
- Wed: 5RFT – 5 PSnatch #75/115, 8OHS, 15/20c Bike
- Thu: 12 Days Of Christmas! Remember: 1, 2/1, 3/2/1, 4/3/2/1, 5/4/3/2/1, 6/5/4/3/2/1….
- Fri: Merry Christmas! Closed. Go for a run.
- Sat: Amrap 20m – 500m Row, 7 HSPUs, 14 WBalls, 21 Situps
- Sun: Amrap 14m – 20Alt DB HClean & PPress, 15 Burpee Box Jumps, 10 SBag over Box
CRAIG’S LIST (Stuff I’m Reading, Listening To or Watching
Netflix The Wish Man – Given the state of things (read: stress of things), Yvonne & I have been keeping our movies very light and funny. The Wish Man is a really cool & powerful life story about Frank Shankowitz, the man who started the Make-A-Wish charity organization. His life story is inspiring: a traumatic near-death accident, his commitment to his profession (Highway Patrol Officer) and helping others. This is a great feel-good flick with some cool history of an amazing charity.
Dave Castro Talks About the 2021 Games Season – Games Director Dave Castro talks with Tommy and Sean about the new Games Season format, revealing some insight to each level, including the new Affiliate Team category and possible changes to the Masters competition
“Don’t Jump” – Mike Rowe FB Post – Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) has long been an advocate for small businesses in America. This post about small business owners who are “non-essential” and uses George Bailey from “It’s a Wonderful Life” as a metaphor. It is a very powerful and emotional read – and helps people to relate to the stress and emotions of owning a business during the pandemic that has been deemed “not essential”.
Prominent John Muir Doctor “Reassigned” After Posting A Public Letter Questioning Restrictions: Last week, I posted a link to a letter from 3 John Muir physicians who publicly questioned the County Health Director about case counts and arbitrary lock downs. One of the Docs is a good friend and former Diablo member, Pete Mazolewski, a veteran Surgeon. Unfortunately, his friend and co-author, Mike deBoisBlanc, Head of Trauma Surgery, was “reassigned” as a result of the letter. You can read the letter here. This is unsettling and unfair given the questions raised and the science behind the questions. When thousands of employees’ jobs and hundreds of business owners’ livelihoods are at stake, our government officials must be prepared to defend their decisions and our citizens must be permitted to peacefully and intelligently challenge them.
Make it an awesome week!