“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.” Bruce Lee
2021 MISSION I am very optimistic about the New Year, especially for Diablo and our community. However, I am saddened by the physical condition and health of Americans that has greatly contributed to the devastation of Covid-19. I’m also disappointed that our State and Federal Government leaders refuse to take public action to improve the nutrition, fitness and health of Americans. Our mission has always been, “fitness beyond expectation.” Now it is time to expand upon our mission: “Diablo is committed to building strong, healthy, resilient, and courageous people.” If you commit to us, we’ll make you a better human.
NEW YEAR’S EVE TOWN HALL & TOM JONES AWARD Ok, we’ve finally settled on a date and time when all the key players are available! Tune in on FB Live or Zoom (members) and get our year-end update and watch our 2020 Tom Jones Award Presentation.
- December 31st at 5PM
- Facebook Live or Zoom (members)
PAYING IT FORWARD – DIABLO’S GOFUNDME – Update Diablo’s GoFundMe, set up by Omar Gabr raised $21,650 from our amazing community. We are truly blessed and extremely grateful. Here’s how we allocated the funds:
- $10,000 – Contribution to “Community For Affiliates” GoFundMe to help other CF Affiliates with affiliate fees or mandate fines so that they can remain in business
- $1,750 – Diablo’s fines from Contra Costa County (currently in appeal). If successfully, appealed, we’ll use this amount for attorney’s fees.
- $4,900 – Commercial Tent & Barrier Rentals for December & January ($2500/mo)
- $5,000 – Contribution to the 2020 Coach & Staff holiday bonus pool! Our coaches and staff stepped up bigtime to help carry us through these last 7 months – often with reduced hours and pay due to closures.
JANUARY RTC19 CHALLENGE (Reverse the Covid-19) Beginning January 1st (ending on Jan 31st) we’re launching our “RTC19 Challenge” to take back our health & fitness! Everyday on Sugarwod, you’ll have an opportunity to score points for your challenge. Maximum daily points = 60. Points can be earned as follows:
- Completed a Diablo workout: 10pts
- No alcohol: 10pts
- No processed foods: 10pts
- No sugar*: 10pts
- Accumulated 30mins of walking: 10pts
- Slept 7+ Hours: 10pts
NEW YEAR’S HOURS (subject to change)
- Thu, 12/31: 6AM – 1PM. Last class at 12P. All CF.
- Fri, 1/1: 8AM – 1PM. Last class at 12PM. All CF.
- Sat, 1/2: 7A – 2PM. Normal Hours. Last class at 11A
WORKOUTS THIS WEEK (check Sugarwod Track “Workout Of The Day”) Check out the videos on Sugarwod or on YouTube (PRsAllDay).
- Mon: 8min to Max Weighted Pull Up, then AMRAP12m – 200m Run, 8T2B, 12 Thrusters #65/95
- Tue: 3RFT – 12 Squat Snatch #75/115, 21 BarFace Burpees, 33 DUs, 2m Rest
- Wed: DL Max. Metcon: 5 DSKB #53/70, 3/5c Bike, 5KB, 7/10c Bike, 5KB, 9/15c Bike
- Thu: Row 1k. Then, 5rnds – 25 Pull Ups, 7 Push Jerks #135/85
- Fri: Squat Clean. Metcon: 21HWB, 400mMedBall Run, 15HWB, 200m MBR, 9HWB, 400m Run
- Sat: Open 12.3 – Amrap18m 15 Box Jumps, 12 PPress #115/75, 9T2B
- Sun: For time – 30 Power Cleans #185/125, 80 Pistols, 100/130c Bike
CRAIG’S LIST (Stuff I’m Reading, Listening To or Watching)
Match Made In Hell. Brilliant and very funny commercial from match.com re: 2020!
Making Sense with Sam Harris: Doing Good. A conversation with William MacAskill. This was a very timely and engaging podcast given our GoFundMe story! In this podcast, Sam Harris speaks with MacAskill about how to do the most good in the world – via charitable giving or charitable work. . They discuss the “effective altruism” movement, choosing causes to support, the apparent tension between wealth and altruism, how best to think about generosity over the course of one’s lifetime, and other topics.
Sportscenter JJ Watt. This was one of the most motivating commentaries I’ve heard all year. There’s something in this for CrossFit Affiliate owners & coaches.. and all of us, frankly.
Your Brain On Cortisol. Why overstressed gray matter is leading us astray in lockdown. “The prolonged traumatic, or “chronic toxic,” stress that most people have been experiencing throughout the pandemic makes it more difficult to keep desires in check, and it in turn promotes illogical pleasure-seeking, said Dr. Robert Lustig, a professor of pediatric endocrinology at UCSF”. Dr. Lustig is one of my favorites – he’s the author of “Sugar, The Bitter Truth” , an amazing piece on the ill effects of sugar, especially on children.
My “Dis-Net-Prime” Weekly List
- A Rainy Day In New York – Netflix. Great Woody Allen dialogue, romantic comedy.
- The 100 Foot Journey – Netflix. LOVED this story of an Indian restaurant vs. a Michelin star French restaurant.
- Midnight Sky – Netflix. Very good George Clooney end-of-the-world, space sci-fi flick.
- Fundamentals of Caring – Netflix. Y & I loved this indy feel-good, very funny & touching story about caring for a teen with MS.
- Sound of Metal – Prime. Heartbreaking story of a rock musician learning to cope with sudden deafness. Great movie.
- Jingle Jangle – Netflix. Cool holiday movie with impressive effects and transitions to still motion. Great message for kids.
Let’s make 2021 an amazing year of recovery!