Coach Andrew wants to tell you about CrossFit.
“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.” ― Mark Rippetoe
WHAT IS CROSSFIT I had an epiphany last week that many CrossFit enthusiasts don’t actually know the definition of CrossFit. That’s ok. They’re doing CF because it works and the community is amazing. However, it’s important to know that CrossFit is not just “another fitness methodology.” It was created with purpose and is supported by a scientific process. Here are a few things that I think all CrossFit enthusiasts should know about CrossFit:
- CrossFit is constantly varied, functional movements executed at high intensity.
- CrossFit replicates functional movements with weightlifting, gymnastics, bodyweight and endurance exercises.
- CrossFit workouts are “measurable & repeatable.” This is essential to recording fitness improvement. We always know the load, distance, and time. Thus, when you repeat workouts, you can measure your improvement by your result.
Example: if you moved 100 bricks a 100 meters in 10 minutes and 3 months later moved the same bricks the same distance, but did it 3 minutes faster, then only one thing changed: your fitness. You became stronger, and/or faster.
This begs the question (which CrossFit answered 20 years ago): what is “fitness”? According to the founder of CrossFit, the best way to define fitness is “increased work capacity.. across broad time and modal domains.” Simply put, the fittest should be strong, able to move their body well AND have endurance. Thus, the CrossFit Games were born: to determine “the fittest in the world” (across broad time & modal domains).
Must read for every CrossFit enthusiast: What is Fitness
CURRENT SKILLS CLINICS: (check with the coach for details)
- Handstand Push-up Strength – Coach Chad (Wed/Sun)
- Ultimate Low Back Stability – Coach Chad (Tue/Sat)
- Gymnastic Positions – Coach Lara (Sun 1:30)
- Oly Lifting Mechanics Series – Coach Jamie Lee – (4wks – beginning July 13!)
- Sun, July 4th: 7A – 12P
- Mon, July 5th: 7A – 7:30P
ANGEL ISLAND IS AMAZING Decided to take my daughter on some Bay Area adventures this summer. Last week it was Angel Island. It was amazing. It’s a $15, 10min ferry ride from Tiburon. We brought our electric bikes (yes.. I broke down this year) and cruised the paved perimeter road. We stopped at the historical abandoned buildings and the really nice beaches. Check out some of my pics.
Congratulations Coach & CEO Jamie Lee!
July Progressions: (Watch the Video)
- Primary Strength: Squat Clean & Jerk complex with a heavier emphasis on the Clean Pulls
- Secondary Strength: Hang Power Snatch + Overhead Squat Complex
- Skill Focus: Strict Chin-ups + Ring Dip EMOMs
The week ahead:
- Mon: Hang Squat Clean TEST! Metcon: Amrap 8m – 4 Hspu, 8 BurpBJ, 12 WB
- Tue: Amrap 18m – 3 Rope Climbs, 6 Ring Dips, 9 T2B, 12 DB HPCleans
- Wed: NANCY! 5RFT – 400m run, 15 OHS #65/95
- Thu: Amrap 15m – 300/400m Row, 7 Pullups, 7 DB Push Press #35/50
- Fri: SClean Complex. Metcon: 3rft – 12 WBall & 12 Box Jumps
- Sat: 3RFT – 400m Medball Carry, 15T2B, 10 HSPU
- Sun: 7xE4MOM – 1 Rope Climb, 7 DB Devil Press, 7 Box Jump Overs, 6 Pistols. Score: slowest rnd.
CRAIG’S LIST (Stuff I’m Reading, Listening To or Watching)
The Challenges of Video At Diablo.. Have you seen this yet? Lol
New Insight On How Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids Could Help Reduce Depression – Kings College London has uncovered a link between O3 fatty acids and an improvement in symptoms of patients. I continue to read more and more about the impact of systemic inflammation on ALL areas of human performance: physical and mental. It is known that chronic inflammation was detrimental for Covid-19 patients. Want to reduce inflammation? Start by removing inflammatory foods from your diet.
Subway’s Tuna Sandwiches Found To Contain NO Tuna Fish – Frankly, this is not surprising. Beware mass-produced convenience foods. But, it begs the following questions: (1) What’s actually in the tuna sandwich? and (2) What about the meatball sub?
One Major Effect of Taking Vitamin D Supplements – Improved Breast Cancer Survival Rates
Reluctantly Watching (again.. because Yvonne)
Downton Abbey, the series. This series moved to Netflix and I failed to scroll past it fast enough before Yvonne saw it. That said, we really enjoy historical period dramas, aka, soap opera history class.
Make it an awesome week!