The CrossFit community mourns the loss of Captain Chad Peyton. Read the story below in “Craig’s List”.
“Independence is happiness.” Susan B. Anthony
ROM I believe that at birth, the human body is most flexible, with the greatest range of motion. Over our lifespans, our flexibility and mobility decline gradually. And, the rate of decline is greatly influenced by lifestyle. In short, “if you don’t use it, you’ll lose it.” Unfortunately, reduced mobility & flexibility reduce the quality of life and, after age 70 (or sooner for some), may cause serious injury or even death.
As I get closer to 60, I’ve noticed a reduction in my mobility that has negatively affected my range of motion in workouts and has limited other physical activities. Fortunately, I’ve finally started working on my mobility, flexibility and range of motion – and I’m already noticing improvements.
Here’s some things we can all do to improve our flexibility, mobility & range of motion:
- Actively participate in mobility warm-ups in class. Don’t just go through the motions. And if you need more time on a particular stretch or movement, no worries. Just signal the coach.
- Follow our ROMWOD workouts on Sugarwod (Track: “Romwod”). Hit 2-3 a week.
- Emphasize controlled, full range of motion in ALL movements – over quantity or load. This is especially important for any movement with squats or overhead press. Squat to a target (wall ball) if needed.
- Take a few minutes after class to mobilize – when your body is warm and supple.
HOLIDAY HOURS REMINDER: Monday, July 5th: 7A – 7:30PM. 1st class at 7AM. Last class: 6:30PM.
WELCOME COACH COREY Our newest Coach at Diablo, Corey has been a part of the Diablo community since April with his fiancee Susanna. He was formerly the Head Coach at Wine Country CrossFit and has more than 7 years of CrossFit experience. He’s a former US Marine, a State Champion in Martial Arts and very impressive Oly Lifter.
OLY MASTERY SERIES – COACH JAMIE LEE July 13 – Aug 5. Coach Jamie is back in the EARLY AM on Tue & Thu with a 4 Week Olympic Lifting Mastery Series. Jamie will be working with a small group of members who are interested in taking their lifting to the next level. You must be able to attend all 8 sessions: Tue/Thu, 5:30A – 7AM. If interested, sign up on the app.
RUNNING STABILITY & PRE-HAB – COACH LARA July 8 – 29. Coach Lara is going to help you run faster AND with less chance of injury. This 4 week (1x week) series will focus on stability and strength for hip, knee and ankle health to support running longevity. Thursdays at 4:30PM. Register on the app!
OTHER SKILLS CLINICS: (check with the coaches for details)
- Handstand Push-up Strength – Coach Chad (Wed/Sun)
- Ultimate Low Back Stability – Coach Chad (Tue/Sat)
- Gymnastic Positions – Coach Lara (Sun 1:30)
TWEET OF THE WEEK: Overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin? Start with a workout. The rest will fall into place.
July PRs Progressions: (Watch the Video)
- Primary Strength: Squat Clean & Jerk complex with a heavier emphasis on the Clean Pulls
- Secondary Strength: Hang Power Snatch + Overhead Squat Complex
- Skill Focus: Strict Chin-ups + Ring Dip EMOMs
The week ahead:
- Mon – Chin ups & Ring Dips. Metcon: 3rft – 8 K2E, 15 HR Push ups, 35 DUs
- Tue – High Hang Power Snatch. Metcon: Amrap 9m – 8KB Snatch R, 8 KB Snatch L, 16 Alt Step ups.
- Wed – Amrap 18m: 2 Rope Climbs, 200m SB Carry, 20/25c Bike
- Thu – SClean&Jerk. Metcon: Amrap 6m – 15 DL, 12 Thrusters #65/95
- Fri – 5Rft: 400m Run, 10 Pull ups, 20 Push ups, 30 Sit ups.
- Sat – Amrap 14m: 400/500m Row, 8 HPower Cleans, 10 S2OH #75/115
- Sun – E5MOMx5: 15/20c Bike, 12 Renegade Row #35/50, 15 Burp over Box
CRAIG’S LIST (Stuff I’m Reading, Listening To or Watching)
PLEASE WATCH: CrossFit: Honoring Captain Chad Peyton “Peyton” is the newest “Hero WOD” created to honor Captain Chad Peyton who took his own life on May 17, 2021. This was especially tragic because Chad left behind his young wife and two young children. He was also avid CrossFitter, whose wife works for CrossFit HQ in publishing. If you want to learn about our amazing CrossFit community – please watch this very touching video.
“The CrossFit community mourns the loss of Chad Robert Peyton, a beloved husband, father, son, brother, and friend. Chad, a West Point grad and a U.S. Army veteran with ten years of military service, struggled with depression and anxiety. He took his own life on May 17, 2021.”
T-Nation – A Gram of Protein per Pound of Bodyweight. This is a bit of an oversimplification and maybe too aggressive, but I’ve found that with most people who want to get leaner, they don’t get enough protein, but they’re usually overeating carbs.
How To Save The World In Three Easy Steps – Bret Weinstein’s Darkhorse Podcast You’ll need an open mind and critical thinking to listen to this one. These are 2 LEGITIMATE scientists, including the inventor of the mRNA vaccine and a researcher. Dr. Robert Malone is the inventor of mRNA Vaccine technology. Mr. Steve Kirsch is an entrepreneur who has been researching adverse reactions to COVID vaccines. Dr. Bret Weinstein is an evolutionary biologist. If you’ve gotten the vaccine or plan to, this is a must-listen podcast. I understand and respect the need for “herd immunity” but I’m saddened by the censorship of data as we roll out these important emergency vaccines.
Make it an awesome week!