The Week Ahead 7.27.20
“Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” Joseph Campbell
APPROVED! FOR OUTDOOR USE: The City of Pleasant Hill granted Diablo a Temporary Use Permit for “Outdoor Fitness Classes.” The process was easier than expected (all via email) and the City acknowledged the financial challenges facing business owners who are still on the “shut down” list.
Help us keep our community safe and our gym open:
- Maintain safe distance+ – at all times! 6’ is acceptable. 8’ is better.
- Wear a mask when congregating with others before or after the workout.
- MASKS REQUIRED IN OUR PROSHOP LOBBY!
- BYOC: bring your own chalk!
- Post workout: lay out your equipment for cleaning.
- Help your coach set up and clean up.
- If you want to wear a mask during your workout – no problem!
CAR-KIT FOR OUTDOOR CLASSES Here’s Coach Carries’ list of recommended items to keep in your car to help make your outdoor experience more comfortable:
- Yoga mat or towel (we have extra mats if you forget one)
- Sunglasses & Hat
- Water Bottle (refill inside ok)
CROSSFIT SALE IS DONE: New CEO, Eric Rosa announced that the paperwork was signed for the sale of CrossFit. Notable: Funding of the deal was backed by Berkshire Partners, a private equity firm out of Boston. Private Equity firms have expectations for a return on investment – typically delivered via a public offering. And, it is reasonable to assume that Eric may want to take CrossFit public in the future.
TEEN SUMMER STRONG 2020.2 Our 2nd Summer Strong program begins on August 5th (Wed). These camps are 4 weeks long and focus on strength training and barbell movement with a short metcon at the end of each session. If your teen has an interest in being stronger, more powerful and more fit, have them sign up. We only have room for 10. Click here for information & registration.
DIABLO MASKS COMING SOON Be safe and show your support for Diablo! We’ll have them in stock in August.
JAMIE’S PARKING LOT WORKOUTS – Check Sugarwod for Details
Heads up! “Parking Lot wods” are now on their own track in Sugarwod!
- Mon – 5rft: 12/18c Bike, 10 Burp Box Jumps, 15DB Push Press #35/50
- Tue – AMRAP 15m: 15 HR Pushups, 300m Row, 15KB Swings, 1m Rest
- Wed – Hang SClean Complex. Metcon- 10>1: FSquat #65/95, Burpee
- Thu- TGU EMOM. Metcon- AMRAP10m: 10/15c Bike, 10 DB DL #35/50, 10 DB PPress
- Fri- 5RFT: 13 Ren Rows, 12FC Rev Lunge, 20 Situps, 25/30c Row
- Sat- E2MOMx5: A)Pullups & Run B)Clusters & Box Jumps
- Sun- E3MOMx4: A)10T2b & Row B)DUs & OHS
CRAIG’S LIST (stuff I’m reading or listening to.. or talking about):
Best for longevity? Aerobic + Strength Training! thebmj: “Recommended physical activity and all cause and cause specific mortality in US adults: prospective cohort study” – This is an 8+ year study of almost 500,000 adults! The conclusion: “Adults who engage in leisure time aerobic and muscle strengthening activities at levels …show greatly reduced risk of all cause and cause specific mortality.
Cut Your Sugar Intake: improve your fitness, and improve your immunity:
- Increased blood sugar levels may decrease benefits of aerobic exercise: “Clinical studies have demonstrated that people with diabetes or chronically high levels of blood sugar struggle to improve their aerobic exercise capacity compared to people with normal blood sugar levels.”
- Scientific American: How Blood Sugar Can Trigger a Deadly Immune Response in the Flu and Possibly COVID-19
Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art , James Nestor. Coach Andrew talked me into this book. I’m just getting started, but finding it very interesting. The history of breathing techniques is fascinating. So far, nothing about the technique of bending over with hands on the knees.
Make it an awesome outdoor week!