ITS THAT SIMPLE AND THAT HARD
There is an overwhelming amount of recent research substantiating the most basic and effective lifestyle behaviors to improve overall physical and mental health, avoid or reduce metabolic diseases, and extend life. Check my “Craigslist” for a few of the most recent. Ironically, while these behaviors are basic, at the same time they are very hard for many of us to implement in our lives:
- Avoid sugar & alcohol
- Walk often throughout the day
- Sleep 7-9 hours a night
Nobody has a magical solution to accomplish these 3 things but, many people who are able to accomplish them will testify to the incredible benefits that carryover to every facet of their lives, including relationships, work productivity, overall happiness and self confidence.
As with any new habit, start with small steps and build slowly. Choose one of the habits, ie, avoid sugar & alcohol, and then choose 3 days a week to implement. After 3-4 weeks of success, add a few more days, and so on. When or if you fail, simply restart. Keep re-starting until it sticks. If you can’t succeed, ask a friend(s) to join you, or hire an accountability coach or use an accountability app. Just don’t stop trying.
TWEET OF THE WEEK: “The solution to the Country’s problems starts with you. Prioritize your health & fitness first, then direct your attention to the people closest to you. Worry about national & global issues last. If everyone followed suit, many other problems would fade.“
THE WEEK AHEAD:
April Focus: (1) Back Squat + DB Floor Press, (2) Loaded Carry, (Skill) Balance & Stability
PRsAll Day April Calendar & Newsletter
- Mon: Back Squat & Floor Press. Metcon: Amrap 8m – 15c Row, 10 L/R DB Hang Clean to OH
- Tue: E5MOMx4 – Buy in: 4 SSnatch, 8 OHS, 12 Lat Hop Oers, then, Max Cal Row.
- Wed: Balance & Stability. Metcon: Amrap 10m – 5 BMU, 10 DBs FC Lunge, 20 Situps
- Thu: Loaded Carries. Metcon: 3RFT 9 DL & 400m Run #155/225
- Fri: “Cindy” or “Mary”
- Sat: FT – 2k Row, Rest 3m, 900/100m Row, Rest 2m, 400/500m Row, Rest 1m, 250/300m Row
- Sun: 3RFT – 12 SB Cleans, 400 SB Carry, 3 Rope Climbs
- Movie: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves – Alana & I got together with our weekly D&D crew to take in this movie on Saturday (ran into fellow Diablo D&D fanatic, Kristina Thorson). It’s an excellent production and very fun for both non-D&D’rs and fans fo D&D. Side note: interested in D&D or, exposing your kids to D&D? Black Diamond Games in Concord is a great place to start! They have gaming nights and beginner groups – and lots of people who can help get you started.
Make it an awesome week!