JANUARY NUTRITION CHALLENGE!
As part of our #fitnessisalifestyle campaign, I am going to create small nutrition challenges that you can work on each month! The goal isn’t perfection here.. it’s just to become a “little bit better” than you were yesterday. This is how we create new habits and lasting change. Let’s use each other for motivation and new ideas!!
The challenge for JANUARY is: DRINK MORE WATER! Did you know about 60% of your body is WATER?! Now when is the last time you drank some?
This time of year everyone is looking to detox from the holiday season where they may have been making poor foods choices and drinking more alcohol. Well, one of the best and most inexpensive ways to do that is simply to DRINK MORE H2O. You should aim for ½ your body weight in ounces. I tell all of my nutrition clients to buy a really cool water bottle that they will WANT to carry around with them all day. If it’s there… you will drink it.
You should also start your day with a tall glass of room temp. water before drinking or eating anything else. This is great for your digestive system to really get things moving and to rev up your metabolism for the day. Check out the image below for even more benefits of drinking more water!
This challenge lines up well with Diablo’s DRY CAVEMAN challenge which we run every year at this time. From Jan 7th all the way to Valentine’s Day, Feb 14th, we challenge you to give up alcohol completely! Give your body a chance to cleanse itself and see just how far you get with your exercise and healthy eating routine. You will be amazed at the results. So let’s do this together!! Put down the booze and pick up some refreshing H2O!
If you would like even more accountability, check out our first ever nutrition CHALLENGE 55! Spaces are limited and filling up fast! Ask a coach for more info.
And as always, let’s post some pictures of you crushing this challenge on Facebook and Instagram with #fitnessisalifestyle and #diablocrossfit.
Coach Jennifer Ismar
Gymnastic Strength: Complete 5 rounds of: (total 15 Minutes)
- 30sec Max Strict Pull-ups
- 30sec Max Toes-to-bar
- 1-minute Plank
- 1-minute Rest
- Pull-ups: Connect multiple reps together. Pull chin clear over the bar, not behind the bar. Modify with bands
- T2B: Keep the toes-to-bar in linked sets. If unable to link t2b, modify with knees-to-elbows and work on getting the rhythm consistent
- Plank: Face down on your elbows. Forearms parallel with each other.
Metcon: Complete 3 rounds for time of,
- 15/20 Calorie Bike
- 200m Dumbbell Farmer Carry #30/45 (M55:#25/#40)
- 10 Dumbbell Hang Squat Clean
- 30sec Rest
- Bike: Push the power output and get the carry quick (Which will be a limiting factor)
- FC: Be sure to keep your shoulders back and down and chin neutral
- DB Hang Squat Clean: Keep the weights in front of the body instead of swinging outside your knees. Focus on keeping your shoulders over the DBs, just like a barbell. This will get gripy, so avoid going to max on the FC.
- NO DROPPING THE DUMBBELLS – Penalty 100m run. Must have full control all the way to the ground. Dropping below the knees, is still dropping them.
Conditioning: Complete 4 rounds starting every 2nd minute – alternate A & B (total time: 17-18 minute)
- 6 Strict Pull-ups
- 8 Handstand Push-ups
- 12 Wall Balls
- 15/20 Cal Row
- 15 Toes-to-Bar
Cash Out: 200m Bumper Plate Overhead Carry
- Start at either A or B.
- A: scale movements as needed. This should be challenging to complete in the 2-minutes. Example: 15-30sec PU, 30-45sec HSPU & 30-45sec for WB.
- B: Hit the row hard, the higher the power the quicker the calories. Toes to bar should also be done in be big sets, so modify to hanging knee tucks or V-ups
- You should have 10-20sec rest at the end of each E2MOM.
- Burn out: Grab a bumper plate and talk a walk with the plate overhead, elbows fully extended.
Core: 3 rounds (9min)
- 30 sec R-side plank with feet on a bench with lower leg ADDuction!
- 30 sec L-side plank with feet on a bench with lower leg ADDuction!
- 1min straight arm reverse plank (with feet on a bench)
- 30 sec rest
- 1 min Plank to Pike on Rower
- 30sec rest
Accessory: 3-4 rounds
- 10 L-side Bulgarian split squats
- 10 R-side Bulgarian split squats
- 5 Jefferson curls (35/45lbs)
Cash out: 3min wall sit