PRESIDENTS’ DAY REMINDER:
- Hours: 8AM – 8PM
- Canceled: CF 5A, 6A & 7:30P. SuperF!T 8:30A
- Added: CF 8A
THIS WEEK’S WORKOUTS
For this week’s workouts & scaling, please visit our website or Sugarwod
⚬ Mon: HSClean 6×1. Metcon: 3x AMRAP2m – Single Arm DB Hang Cleans, Lunges & Strict Situps.
⚬ Tue: 😬 5RFT – 450/500m Row, 12 BSquat #95/135, 400m Run/
⚬ Wed: Jerk 7×1. Metcon: 3RFT – 10 PSnatch #65/95, 12 Toes-to-bar, 8 Burpee to a target.
⚬ Thu: HS & Core. Metcon: 4RFT- 200m Run, 12 SA DB Press, 200m Run, 6/8 Strict Pull-ups.
⚬ Fri: “DT”: 5RFT – 12 Deadlifts #105/155, 9 Hang Power Clean, 6 Push Jerks.
⚬ Sat: “Chelsea” – EMOM30m – 5 Pull-ups, 10 Push-ups, 15 Air Squats.
⚬ Sun: 3RFT – 500m Row, 40 Double-Unders, 30′ HSWalk, 20 T2B, 10 DL #155/225.
TEEN STRONG: Feb 24th – Apr 3rd. This sells out! Reserve now.
SILVER STRONG: Our next 4 week session starts Mar 2nd. Information & registration.
CRAIG’S LIST (stuff I’m reading or listening to)
- “Strength training is vital in avoiding injuries and staying independent as you age” – Washington Post. Mainstream media is starting to come around to the benefits of strength training for our aging population. There are some fantastic quotes in this piece:
“Beginning about age 30, men and women lose muscle mass at about the rate of 10% per decade until about 50, when that loss accelerates to 15% per decade.”
“Resistance training can be part of the antidote, but picking up five-pound dumbbells and doing a few biceps curls won’t get you where you need to be…You need to be able to push, pull, hinge at the hips, carry and squat.. and as you age, you must be able to get up off the floor in case you fall. This is what saves lives.”
- Do You Need To Increase Your Daily Carb Intake? Chris Kresser. Chris is one of my favorite experts in Functional Medicine and Healing. He did a terrific podcast with Joe Rogan a while back debunking many of the claims made by the Game Changers Documentary. In this article, Chris talks about the importance of carbohydrates (healthy carbs) for athletes, children, pregnant women and other special cases.
- What Is The Placebo Effect? Ted Ed. Here’s a great video explaining the “placebo effect” and its impact on personal health. It’s a fascinating topic and a major reason why so many supplements and “healers” are able to thrive. But, there are ethical issues surrounding “placebos” and in the case of the CrossFit article below – there are significant complications with placebos that may impact health negatively.
- Sometimes a Placebo Is not a Placebo, ByMaryanne Demasi, Ph.D. This is kinda scary if you’re the individual in the clinical trial and you’ve been told you’re taking an inert placebo.
- Joe Rogan with Garrett Reisman #1425 – Garrett Reisman is a former NASA Astronaut. He is currently a Professor of Astronautical Engineering at USC and a Senior Advisor at SpaceX. This is a really cool podcast if you want to learn more about how freakin’ hard space travel is on the body, especially if we travel to Mars. And interesting side bar was the discussion about how Astronauts on the space station can now prevent muscle & bone density loss via heavy resistance training. In the past, exercise and resistance training was more moderate, but did not help as much. Strength training builds muscle & bones, but we know that!
Make it an awesome week!